View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eagle
Track Member

Drives: 2011 370z Red 6MT
Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond reputeEagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
I'm considering a 2009 370Z with the sport package that I would like to bring to the track occasionally. I'm planning to simply drive it at good pace working on my lines and was wondering if this could be possible without an oil cooler.
It's possible. But you will find yourself hitting limp mode very quickly. It is very likely even on your 1st track day you will find yourself in your 1st session of the day just feeling things out not really getting to the point where you'll hit limp mode. It won't be long though before the temperature rises through the day and you start to improve, braking later, accelerating sooner, harder and...then you hit 260 degrees F and that's when you wish you got an oil cooler. Limp mode will limit you to ~3500 RPM and you'll be cruising around the track like a grand mother. Please understand the oil cooler will NOT eliminate LIMP MODE. It will only delay it, providing you a buffer that allows you to get a couple more hot laps out there before the inevitable happens.

If you think you even have the slightest bit of competitiveness in you or are really passionate about motorsports, I would get a 34 row oil cooler ASAP.

nismo| EVO-R High Wing | Stillen Gen 3 CAI | SEIBON TS Hood | Z1 34 Row Oil Cooler | VMR 810 Wheels | Endless MX72 Pads |Sabelt GT-140 Seat |Fly1Motorsports RS1 Fenders | Hotchkis Front Sway Bar | Berk HFC |
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote