View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie cat View Post
... He also informed me that a knock senor is not bad yet but is going bad if that makes any sense and that the whole top of the motor will have to be taken apart. To me it is either bad or not bad, if it were he said there would be a trouble code so I don't get that whole deal. ...
Some parts don't fail catastrophically - they just get worse over time until the signal can't be interpreted properly by the ECM. I'm not sure that applies to knock sensors, just a possible explanation. The FSM will probably tell the type of sensor used (eg, piezo) and you can do a web search for "piezo failure" or similar.

I highly recommend getting an OBD/CAN scanner to anybody who wants to do their own troubleshooting/repairs. The scanners are pretty cheap (as low as $20-30 for a bare-bones model) and the 370Z does a very good job of spotting problems.