View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #47 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbrah View Post
My z was vandalized today while parked way in the back row at my work's parking structure. Luckily the bastard only threw some type of liquid all over my hood and windshield, looks like coffee, and also left a faint key mark across my hood. I could easily buff it out. I have a dash cam but it's only on when the engine is on. Is it possible to hard wire my dash cam to keep the motion sensor on while the car is off? Some guide would be helpful. And I have a G1W-C. Thanks.
Sorry to hear man

Yes, it would be possible. It's simply a matter of hardwiring it to a fuse that is always *on* (start button fuse, for example - I used this fuse for the homelink function on my rear view mirror). Once that is done, you just turn on the motion sensor feature on the camera. I'm not sure the exact menu options, but I'm pretty sure it's just a setting that you activate in the camera menu.

However, there are several things to consider. I have read that many of the dash cams with motion sensor or parking modes are not very good (incl the G1WC) because they take too long to turn on and begin recording after motion is sensed. It'll just depend on the situation whether your camera will capture any footage that will be of use. Also, if there is a lot of motion to trigger the camera and your car is parked for long stretches of time, I would be sure to get a battery discharge prevention device that will prevent the camera from killing your battery.

A car that reversed into a parking space may have vehicles passing by in front on a regular basis, but the camera may not actually record any of these vehicles if they are out of frame by the time the camera turns on and starts recording. You could potentially come out to your vehicle with a bunch of footage of nothing and a dead battery

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |

Last edited by JARblue; 03-08-2016 at 08:47 AM.
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote