View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #64 (permalink)
zguynate
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z
zguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond reputezguynate has a reputation beyond repute

So over the past few days I got a little bit accomplished. Memphis370 and my dad assisted with engine removal.

Before:

After:

Theres all kinds of little shrapnel on the front subframe lol. While removing the engine and transmission, one of my connectors on the transmission got smashed and broke against the transmission tunnel. Luckily I have a friend that works at Nissan and actually had one on hand. I also picked up another connector for the factory dash gauges since Ill be relocating my other gauges. Where? I don't know yet.

Once we got the motor out, there were little metal pieces falling out everywhere. Me and Memphis370 will be taking the other motor apart for poops and laughs to observe the damage, but here is a little sneak peak lol. Go big or go home right?

Im pretty excited to see the damage. I can salvage a few things off of this motor (intake plenum, valve covers, timing covers), but most of it is toast I'm sure. Im kind of waiting, not knowing what to do with my hands right now since my block is still at the machine shop. They said Monday it should be done by Wednesday. Well here it is Thursday night at 10, and Im blockless. I did however purchase some precision tools for assembly. Stuff to check clearances and what not. For what Ive paid in tools I could have easily just paid to have it assembled, but I like to do things myself. I want to know its done right, and will do it to the best of my ability. Hopefully my ability doesn't fail me lol. I have already learned a lot through this process and I havent even done anything yet. Learning is fun and is a part of the journey for me!

I also picked up some SPL bushings. Kyle at IPP hooked me up on them. From what I have heard, you don't get much wiggle room with SPL on price, but he gave me a bit off of MSRP. Ill definitely be hitting Kyle up when it comes time for a few more SPL pieces. Anyway, with more power, I know that bushing in the subframe is going to be dead fairly soon. So I got new differential bushings. Also, since I'm going to be back there, I went ahead and got new subframe bushings as well. You might say to yourself, "Dragon wtf are you thinking? Whats the purpose of this car going to be?". No purpose. I loved the solid feel on my old 350z (had solid everything) so I decided to do the same to my 370z. The response is amazing and feedback from the car is instant. Its hard to explain. Last but not least, something I almost forgot about since its been hidden away in a closet for over 3 years, I have a finned Nismo differential cover Ill be putting on. I got it for my 350z back in the day, but then it got totaled out before I got around to putting it on. Lucky for me, it also fits the 370z.

As always, Ill try to stay updated for those of you who are interested. Its fun documenting these things so when Im old, I can show my grandkids this stuff and call them sissies.

Last edited by zguynate; 10-06-2017 at 05:33 PM.
zguynate is offline   Reply With Quote