View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #64 (permalink)
psteng19
Base Member

Drives: 06 TSX
psteng19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellarmed View Post
It's not a good point. The point he is making is that because the manual is for him, anybody who would want a auto must be stupid. "People are considering the auto??!!"

I'm sure he hasn't driven one so I'll bet he would be surprised to know that the auto also has downshift synchro-rev matching when using the paddles.

Until somebody puts the two head to head in a real world performance match, nobody here can say for sure whether that auto might just out perform the manual.

In fact in a drag race I'll put my money on the auto. Why would ANYBODY want to use a clutch?
I never cared much for auto's with paddle shifting, rev-match downshift or not.
I'll be honest, I never drove an auto 370Z (or even a 350Z) with paddle shifting, but I've read comments and driven other paddle shifted tc autos and the end result is always the same.
The delay is annoying, and you still get that disconnected feeling from the torque converter. If it has an automatic mode, I'll just let the car shift for me.

I don't drive manuals because they're faster.
The main reason I buy it is for the feeling of being "one with the car" - something that no other transmission can come close to reproducing, be it auto, or CVT or even DSG.
Secondary reasons include cost (usually $1k cheaper), and instant weight reduction (~50 lbs or so).

But nice of you to assume

I'll regurgitate what was said in the Winding Road review.
"Do yourself a favor; buy the manual if you're going to buy this car."
psteng19 is offline   Reply With Quote