View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
dkznyc
Base Member

Drives: 370z 350z 300zxTT
dkznyc is on a distinguished road
Default battery wont charge

Full story:

After sometime my battery cable got a little loose. I saw the radio reset as i hit a bump (was at 14V after the bump). The next morning I tightened the terminals, I did not short anything (Very careful about this).

After tightening the terminals I started my car and drove to pep boys, I wanted to buy interior cleaner. Upon starting my vehicle my steering was stiff like there was no power steering (I didnt check voltage). Like an idiot, I was thinking "this feels great, real race car" and that I was going to come home soon anyways.

I picked up the cleaner and proceeded to go home. I lost all power, I looked at my voltage and it was at 12V dropping quick to 11V. I pulled over into a parking lot. The car wouldn't start. I went and got my juke to jump my 370z. After jumping it The car started again at 12V and quickly dropped again to 11V with no power. So I drove the juke to pepboys bought a new battery since I have no tow hook (BP V2 kit) and swapped the battery. The car ran normal but still only 12V but dropping slower this time probably due to a new battery.

I proceeded to troubleshoot. I checked all fuses and harnesses to see if it was attached properly. Everything checked out ok, i even swapped some fuses for no reason. I then bought a new fusable link from nissan and swapped it (by battery power terminal). The old fusible link was fine but I was just hoping for the best.

Ok so new battery, checked fuses, new fusible link, harness looks perfectly attached. There is no dirt or liquid anywhere on the alternator. I really couldn't believe it. So I bought a new alternator.

I swapped the alternator in a repair shop today and it still wont charge..

Looking online the alternator is controlled by the ECU? Am I right? (WTF)
I read all posts on google, the forums, g37 forms 350z forums, I cannot find anyone with a similar case.
The car runs perfect except the battery will not charge.

Now if you want to change the ECU you will have to get your key reprogrammed and a vin number put in the ECU and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I will be checking the harness tomorrow but whats the chances this thick stationary piece of wire just failed?

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I looked at the relays and fuses already. Everything is grounded.

I also read the repair manual for the 370z charging system (lots of NISSAN TECH only diagnostics). I seen a TSB stating that if you have a loose battery connection not to use accessories as it may damage your ECU...(serious? from a slightly loose connection).

Any help appreciated. Really missing the older cars when things were simple. Thanks.

Last edited by dkznyc; 02-20-2016 at 04:40 PM.
dkznyc is offline   Reply With Quote