View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #36 (permalink)
Tractionless
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 K23 ST 7AT
Tractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix 808 View Post
The problem with using an IR gun is that you are measuring surface temp, not fluid temp which can be 20-40 degs off. The best way to do it is to install a temp gauge. Then you can monitor the heat cycle of the fluid & know when you should be replacing it.

$.02
It's safe to say the fluid in the pan is transferring heat to the outside surface that the IR is reading. I watched the temp. go up as the car heated up on ramps, sitting level. I'm much more comfortable in this method than the aforementioned "back of hand on the pan" for guesstimating temp.

After all is said and done the transmission is shifting much better most likely due to being 1.5 qts. low upon drain and the fluid having 6 yrs. and 76k miles on it. My next change will be in 25k miles.
Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote