View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #2854 (permalink)
Jsolo
Track Member

Drives: '12 G37 6MT
Jsolo is just really niceJsolo is just really niceJsolo is just really niceJsolo is just really niceJsolo is just really nice

With gas prices as low as they are, I got this crazy idea to do an all day cruise (~550 miles) sometime this spring (late april or sometime in may).

The route would cover NW IL, eastern iowa (along the river) and snake back through wi. I've done many variations of the route on the motorcycle in years past. There's lots of twisty and technical (for the midwest) roads. We usually did lunch at the red robin in dubuque.

Given the length, this is not for the late risers. Meet time will be 6:45am at the road ranger in hampshire. I'd like to be on the road no later then 7:15.

Typical stops are every 90-120 min (we'll be on backroads most of the time).

Given the Z and G both have roughly the same gas tank size and get similar mileage, fuel stops will be strategically placed throughout.

Once completed, the route will be available by email. Format is .gpx which is what garmin uses. If you don't have a garmin, there's an android app called gpx viewer which works well. For whatever reason, way points are not displayed. Also, it requires live data. This is fine until we get to the middle of nowhere IL/IA. Data might be non existent or be very slow. The route itself still shows but the highway names/etc do not update.

There's a nice overlook in Balltown, IA which makes for a good photo op. Aside from that, it's curves and more curves.

This is not a race. Speeds are speed limit +10 in the straights, whatever you're comfortable with in the corners. Following distance is very important. Wildlife encounters can occur at any time so it's important to be vigilant.

If the guy in front is going too slow, pass when it's safe to do so.
If i'm going too slow, passing is fine, just know where you're going

Cars should be in tiptop mechanical shape with decent tread and good brakes.

All cars are welcomed. Once I get a definitive route made I'll create a separate thread. I'll also be posting a link to this on the G site (and chicagoz).

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

For sale links
Jsolo is offline   Reply With Quote