View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwick View Post
You're 20 so you are going to do what you want but I recommend having the following prior to boosting a NA car:

- Zero loan balance on the car
- $6-8k in cash reserve for the 'Oh shit my motor let go fund'
- You are maxing out your retirement savings (IRA/401k/etc.)
- You can pony up all the cash up front for kit/install/tune without using CC interest
There's some great advice for you, OP. Ie, get your ducks in a row first and then worry about your big-boy toys.

But I know I wouldn't have listened to such sage advice when I was 20 yo. As others have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with using a "well broken in" engine as long as it is still in good shape. Just remember to stash away enough money for major repairs in case the feces hits the fan (you need to do that any time you go to FI).