View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
familyguy4756
Base Member

Drives: 08 G37S AB 6MT
familyguy4756 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooey_b View Post
No problem mayne.

As far as I know, the main selling points that got me were the boost by gear control (eliminates need for boost controller), flex fuel that adapts to ethanol content (inline ethanol sensor tied to the harness to provide live input on ethanol content for adjustment), and also they have the true values for the VVEL, so you can actually change your intake cams' timing. I dunno by how much, but you can. UpRev has a "virtual cam" that pretends to mess with the intake cams- that's when I made the choice with Ecutek.

And yeah, there are the other benefits you've mentioned, the flat-foot shifting (i dunno how much that is actually needed), map switching on the fly, TRUE 2 STEP (UpRev, from what I understand, you have to have 2 maps, one that cuts fuel @ specified launch rpm, then you have to switch maps AS you launch. stupid IMO.) That, and majority of the reviews I've read (if not all of them) mention smoother throttle control, and usually an average of about 10 hp increase over UpRev with the same modifications.

If you're worried about it becoming a money pit, don't worry. I've got a latina gf who dictates the budgeting lol. If you're not too particular about who tunes, I know of a shop down in Texas called Dynotronics, they're selling an e-tune package that includes the license, tuning suite kit, and the initial calibration (tune) with unlimited revisions to keep up with Ecutek updates. $660+ tax, free shipping. That coupled with the cost of the ECM swap will more than likely even out to what the average cost of an Ecutek tune will cost you ($700-$850), probably no more than +$200 more. I'm expecting to pay around $1k for the entire thing, ECM swap, reprogramming, and tune.

Anyone else, please chime in if I'm wrong or missing anything
Just curious, how exactly would you explain to the service tech that you need everything reprogrammed? Especially when they ask how you got it there and ask for symptoms? Lol.

Labor couldn't be too bad to reprogram it? 1-2 hours shop time sounds about right? ( want to be sure to call them out on overpricing, my local dealer sucks. They tried to scare me into a new transmission on my 35 when I went in for a simple transmission flush!)

I may take the lead on this, I have been checking into secondhand ecu prices and really want to get the ball rolling on my tune even though I only have a few bolt ons. FI isn't really in the cards for another year or so but I CAN'T STAND the MASSIVE throttle lag / surge I have been experiencing. Seriously sucks the fun out of this car...
familyguy4756 is offline   Reply With Quote