View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #79 (permalink)
Dirk McGurck
Track Member

Drives: 09 MB 370Z Touring
Dirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond reputeDirk McGurck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBatt View Post
I crunched some numbers just for my entertainment and thought I would share them with you.

370Z Base (non Nismo):
Displacement - 226 cubic inches
Horse Power - 332
= 1.46 HP/CI
Weight - 3232 Lb
= 9.73 Lb/HP

370Z Nismo:
Displacement - 226 cubic inches
Horse Power - 350
= 1.55 HP/CI
Weight 3232 (?)
= 9.23 Lb/HP

2015 Mustang GT 5.0:
Displacement - 302 cubic inches
Horse Power - 435
= 1.44 HP/CI
Weight - 3810 Lb
= 8.75 Lb/HP

The "old" VQ37HR engine produces MORE HP per cubic inch than the new Coyote 5.0

The 'Stang has a better power to weight ratio.

Performance advantage goes to the Mustang until you reach a corner. The lighter weight of the Z will give it a handling advantage. YMMV
This points to why even an NA Z35 would be awesome. In 2009, the Mustang still had the 4.6L worth 315HP, now they're pushing out more with a more advanced engine that weighs roughly the same.

Then you have the Japanese manufacturers innovating structural design: the new Mazda 6 sedan weighs a couple hundred pounds less than our Zs and is quite a bit larger. Same with the Accord sedan. Look at the new Miata weighing almost nothing comparatively.

Really, Ford should have made a new Capri based off the Mustang that was smaller and had the 2.7L V6 from the F-series. That would be more of a Z competitor.