View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #7594 (permalink)
Leingod
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: In Circles
Leingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond reputeLeingod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvette View Post
I'm going to guess the slower start up is due to the programs in the startup sequence. From a logic stand point, it seems that the less the processor/ram/L2 cache has to deal with upon turn on, the faster it should reach the desktop. Most places don't seem to care about how long a computer takes to become operational from a cold start, only in how well it processes the daily tasks. My work computer boots way slower than my home PC, I just turn it on and while it boots to desktop, I go get coffee. By the time I get back, it's ready. Now the fact that it is slower than molasses in January and locks up at the drop of a hat, is a whole different issue...

and it's a Mac...
While the ram def has some to do with the startup, I personally believe the memory controller within the CPU and how much the CPU can process is what causes the sluggishness. I don't see even 4gb of ram being allocated to a dozen startup programs. 100% ram isage would theoretically cause a computer to crash.