View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Asheth
Track Member

Drives: 09 Blk 6mt
Asheth will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Asheth

Quote:
Originally Posted by epod86 View Post
My basic aerodynamics tells me it will make some sort of difference. what it's intended to do is "trip" airflow passing under the car from laminar flow to turbulent flow. The reason being is that laminar flow under the car can contribute to the 'airfoil' effect, in that the shape of a car resemble and airfoil and a car tends to generate life just from it's shape. only laminar flow is consistent enough to generate a pressure gradient between the top and bottom due to the curvature of the car. By inducing turbulent flow, the airfoil effect is reduced. the airfoil effect also has the downside of introducing wake drag, a side effect of being shaped like a airfoil. By having a front spoiler that introduces turbulence, and a rear spoiler that produces down-force, alters the flow direction, and introduces turbulence, you get a car with less lift and less drag. this can also be accomplished by changing the cars "angle of attack," sometimes called the "rake" of the car, or how high the back end is, thought raising the back end does not decrease drag as much as changing the flow profile.

Hope this helps give you an idea. But in general, aerodynamics is a game of millimeters. On a modern jet liner, a difference of 10^-9 (.0000001% or less) in the coefficient of drag is 25-50 passenger miles (airplane can carry additional 25-50 passenger on it's designed leg length, weird metric name, I know). having a .01 difference in drag (from .30 to .29) is 3%, which is pretty substantial. Plus the claims of zero lift, you've got pretty impressive aerodynamics in addition to a car that's already a steal for it's price.
Excellent info +1
180 customs Headlights - Yantech Backup Camera - Projekt 1 - Stillen Gen 3- EVO-R V2 Foglight, EVO-R CF Diffuser, Carbon Fiber Element Steering wheel - Fast Intentions TDX/RHFC's - RJM A.F.P. - Z1 Oil Cooler - 2015 Nismo Conversion.
Asheth is offline   Reply With Quote