View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
sandersd
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 370z Nismo
sandersd will become famous soon enoughsandersd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersd View Post
From Aerocatch support:
"I must advise that the aluminium pins must not be bent at all as doing so will lead to failure. You must make the fixing point of the pin suit the angle required or alternatively you can remove a little of the moulded material around the pin entry to obtain a good closure. We must stress on no account bend aluminium pins."
I have to order replacement pins from Coast Fabrication, their US distributor and come up with a different mounting scenario. It would be easier I think if the holes in the hood were not already cut, then I could use a beveled washer to cant the pins, but I think I can come up with something that'll work.

I sketched this up to go where the pin is mounted now:

Attachment 104696

Attachment 104695

I think if I use 16 ga plate I can TIG weld a compact angled mount. Wish me luck.
Welded these up as a prototype. They're too big to actually use but serve for planning purposes.

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1497 (2).JPG

If I had it to do again I would use something like this mounted to the crossmember, install the pins at the proper angle and then locate the holes in the CF hood. What I have, although not recommended and less than ideal, works so 'if it ain't broke - don't fix it'. I will however inspect the pins regularly for signs of failure. I have spare carbon steel pins that are bendable to use as replacements if I have to.