View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Slynky
Track Member

Drives: 2010 Red 370Z T/S/N
Slynky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpz View Post
I think this really points to the fact that the Z car has grown into a different market segment because the evolution of automobile technology. I think maybe his criticism is slightly misdirected, or misinterpreted.

The 240Z has naturally evolved into the 370Z as a two seat GT car with competitive HP to American muscle cars, with superior handling characteristics and style, just down market from the Corvette. And as result, established a Japanese born American Icon.

The 240SX, on the other hand is better targeted for the sub 3000 lb, 4 cyl market to compete with the miata.

The Z car has evolved in much the same way as other cars, in the pursuit to make a car more competitive within its respective market, a manufacturer will naturally engineer a car up market. For example the Honda Accord has moved up market, as has the Civic, and as a result Honda has replaced the Civic with the Fit as its subcompact econ car.

So I think his criticism of the 370Z is somewhat unfair, and really should be restated as a call to Nissan to bring back the Silvia (as Fusz says) if he really desires a car in the "Miata market".
I can subscribe to this vehicle of thought...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Slynky is offline   Reply With Quote