View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #6357 (permalink)
takjak2
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Legit Racecar 370Z
takjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond reputetakjak2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux View Post
I've been practicing shuffle steering, but now I'm being told not to do that, but instead hold at 9 and 3 I assume a well-rounded driver knows each technique and applies them in the proper situation.

Any input/advice is appreciated!
Get rid of that Underarmor shirt! Somewhere in the paperwork they told you to wear cotton. Poly materials will melt to you in case of a fire. Bad bad.

"Shuffling" to steer isn't a great technique, but one thing it does do is position your hands at 9-3 mid-corner. See this at 0:18 to 0:21 and 4:43-:53 in your video. From there you have better control than if you started at 9-3 and rotated the wheel so that your hands are now 12-6. Some drivers will pre-position their hands, so that as they come into the turn they'll move their hands to 6-12 so that they rotate into 9-3.

As I have been driving longer stints (1-2 hours straight) in preparation for endurance racing, I am reminded that pulling is much easier for our muscles than pushing. Imagine a right turn with your hands at 9-3. Pull down with the right hand rather than push up/away with your left.

You can improve by getting the wheel straight at the exit of turns much (1.5 sec) earlier all the way around the track. In HPDE it feels nice to maintain the lateral G-force, but that is scrub angle when you should straighten up and be hard on the throttle.

Turn 1: In our cars, apex a little later, open the wheel, and end up on the outside of turn 1. Full throttle all the way out. Ending up on the inside of 2 is not the fastest line.

One trick is to look for dirt patches where the grass won't grow, off track. That is where the fast cars are [often] dropping a wheel. There is one on the outside of turn 1 (similar at VIR) by the access road.

Turn 10: At 4:15 the instructor tells you to brake a little too early IMO (and he may be anticipating the delay), and you brake more than necessary. Our cars have some of the best braking out there. Go deep, press hard, clench butt.

Keep it up!