View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jason
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z
Jason is on a distinguished road
Default Should I upgrade or replace my laptop?

I have a laptop that I bought in, I think, '05. It's a Dell Inspiron E1405 (1.6GHz Core Duo, 1.5GB, 120GB).

I use my PC for school, work, and video-editting. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, but the program lags like crazy. I really don't know if it's the processor or lack of memory but I need to do something about it. I want to be able to edit video smoothly.

Option 1: Upgrade the processor to a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo ($200). Upgrade the memory to 4GB (<$85). I think this will do the trick but eventually I'll run out of HD space and get an external or something. The laptop needs a couple things. I just ordered new $8 hinges (monitor tends to fall). The PC will basically be max'd out.

Option 2: Buy a new desktop PC for $700. 3GHz Core 2 Duo (expandable to Quad Cores), 4GB (expandable to 8GB), and 500GB (expandable to 1TB+). I wouldn't need a monitor or anything cuz I'd hook it up to my TV.

Normally I'd just go for option 2, but I'm super broke. I mean, I can afford it but I much rather use the $400 for strippers. I kid. I really could use that for school/books, food, car pmt, etc. So easy, I'll just go with option 1 and mod my current. My problem with this is that it'll be MAX'd out so I'm not sure how much longer it'll last before 4GB of memory is considered "crap". Then I'll definitely need a new one (albeit, I should be better off financially by this time). Anyone know how long option 1 would last?

Then I was also thinking I'd need a better video card... Like what if I mod my current PC and the video program still runs like crap? Then it turns out I need a new graphics card. I'm SOL because the current one is internal and I dont believe it can be upgraded. Then I'm out $300 and need to buy a new PC.

Sorry, I know this turned into more of a rant lol but I'd like to hear what you guys think. The money is there, but I'd rather not use it if I don't have to.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote