View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
cchheett55
Base Member

Drives: 15 Z Nismo 6MT
cchheett55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv129 View Post
i think some explanation is needed. OP clearly is mixing up tire speed and load rating vs what causes a wheel to break.

Tires have speed rating because it has to constantly change shape. The faster the speed, the faster the compress+rebound has to be to maintain level contact to the pavement. Also, this constant changing of shape, the bending and unbending of the rubber and the steel belt inside, generate heat, of which the tire must be able to bear.

Wheels: no you won't break the wheels. You car will never generate enough downward force or side load to break the wheel. Unless you go through pot holes with no regards. A curb or pot hole so bad that completely compresses a tire and hit the wheel directly may bend or break the wheel, but that's not the origin of your inquiry. As for speed rating of a wheel, I'm not sure there is such thing. The wheel remains constant shape, unlike tires. A wheel that will disintegrate itself because of spinning too fast is a really really shitty wheel, not even Chinese knockoffs do that.
Thanks. It probably seemed like I mixed it up from how I phrased it.