View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
birdman71
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People Crazy!
birdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond reputebirdman71 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dant1127 View Post
I definitely keep uninsured, and I've always had comprehensive just to be safe. What I did learn, though, is that I've been guilty of sticking with the default coverage dollar amounts. I've been a bit naive with insurance over the years, and since I don't cause wrecks and I've never had a nice car it didn't matter. But, this woman's insurance is paying more to fix my Z than my last 4 cars put together cost... made me look into things a bit deeper.

Now that we have a 370Z and a new Maxima, I looked over my policy and realized just how crappy default coverage amounts are here in TX. Basically, if one of us were at fault, and we hit a nice car, we would have been liable for thousands. 30K property damage doesn't stretch far if 2 cars that cost over 40k collide ....

If any of you out there haven't picked through your policy, I would take the time. It could save you some major money if you're ever at fault, or if you're hit by an uninsured/under insured motorist. Full Coverage may sound safe and cozy, but it isn't as Comprehensive as it sounds. Hah! SWIDT?!

What do you mean your agent is telling you to expect nothing? Certainly not how I would do things. In a time like this yeah expect the worse (which is nothing) but also look at the best parts of this so you don't make it seem only bad. Just my prerogative. Always like to please my clients.

As for coverage, mind you I am a 21 year old male that is self-supporting in all ways and living in my own apartment with no assets besides this car and my job working at State farm; I still hold the coverage limits of:

$50,000 up to $100,000 for Bodily Injury
$100,000 for Property Damage
$5,000 per person in Medical Payments
$500 Collision Coverage Deductible (Car on car/object collision)
$0 Comprehensive Coverage Deductible (for theft, vandalism, key marks, tree branch falls on car etc.)
Emergency Roadside Service
Rental Car Coverage $50 per day up to $1,200.00 MAX per claim.

Like I said before I work for State Farm Insurance, So I make sure that my coverage covers me. I have always said base your coverage off your assets. If you have a Home that costs $900,000 and two cars adding up to another say $75,000, I would have not only have my Auto Insurance set a up like this:

$250,000 up to $500,000 for Bodily Injury
$100,000 for Property Damage
$5,000 per person in Medical Payments
$500 Collision Coverage Deductible
$0 Comprehensive Coverage Deductible
Emergency Roadside Service
Rental Car Coverage $50 per day up to $1,200.00 MAX per claim.

With Adequate Homeowners Coverage with Personal Liability limits of $100,000 and then on top of all that a Personal Liability Umbrella Policy which starts at $1M and goes up from there increasing by $1M. I would get the $1M Umbrella Policy so I have personal liability limits of $1M over both cars coverage and the home's coverage at that point. So anything you are personally liable for can be claimed through your personal liability.

Just my

Birdman's Build:
Powerhouse Amuse/ Nismo/ Eibach/ ACT/ Tommy Kaira/ Avant Garde/ Fast Intentions/ Project Kics/ Fly 1 Motorsports/ EVO-R/ Z1 Motorsports/ Weber Sports/ Zoom/ Zele Japan
birdman71 is offline   Reply With Quote