View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
ArokhX
Base Member

Drives: 2014 370z Sports MT
ArokhX is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone. Just wanted to give a quick update.

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this. My boss taught me the golden trick. Put it in 1st, then slowly let out the clutch to the catch point and hold it there. Let the car start rolling forward, and once it gets going, slowly let out on the clutch until it's all the way out and I'm rolling along in 1st. From there, repeat the process for 2nd gear. Clutch in, little gas, release the clutch to the catch point again, and slowly let it out till I'm rolling in 2nd gear. From there on, all the other gears are easy to shift into.
Prior to this knowledge, I had been releasing the clutch way too fast and that's what was causing the car to either stall (not enough gas), or chirp the rear tires (too much gas). It's probably common knowledge to not fully depress the clutch when getting started, but no one had every told me that before now, so I didn't know.
Now, I just have to work on the finesse of it all in order to shift through the gears quickly but smoothly. And I'm sure that's a skill that's only refined through practice.

Thanks for all the advice. I look forward to a long history with this car, and thanks so much for all the warm welcomes.