View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tree70Z
Base Member

Drives: 2012 Gun Metal Auto
Tree70Z is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to give an update on some changes I made to this system. I decided to add a subwoofer and wanted to go with a compact passive enclosure since I did not see any active enclosures that looked worthwhile. Rather than add a second amplifier, I decided to swap out the the 2-channel Focal 200W for a 5-channel Soundstream 640W Picasso Nano. The Nano can run four channels at 60W RMS each with 200W going to the sub, or 2-channels bridged at 160W RMS with 350W going to the sub. I'm only running front speakers, but I initially hooked it up non-bridged at 60W, thinking I might try bridging it if needed. It is not needed. Even though the Focal was supposedly sending 60W RMS, same as the Soundstream, the new amp sounds much better, and I have to keep the gain turned way down.

So far, just changing the amp was a big improvement. With the Sounstream amp, my speakers were already putting out more bass than they had been with the Focal amp and the music seemed to breathe better. But, I needed to feel it a little more. So, I added a JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 8" ported micro-subwoofer enclosure. Again, I have to keep the gain dialed way back and have the bass boost turned all the way down. That thing makes WAY more bass than I'll ever need. If I turn it too high, it vibrates my brain. By adding the sub, I was able to enable high pass filter, taking the bass out of the front components which made them sound louder and more crisp and clear.

Before, I was just reasonably happy with my amp and speakers. Now, I love my system and I keep wasting time just sitting in my car and listening to tunes.

Conclusion 1: Focal Solid2 Black amplifier sucks compared to the Soundstream Picasso Nano 640W

Conclusion 2: The JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 8" ported micro-subwoofer enclosure kicks *** and is more than enough bass for a Z.

Last edited by Tree70Z; 10-15-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling typo : "alreay" = "already"
Tree70Z is offline   Reply With Quote