View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
hoodust
Base Member

Drives: 370Z PG A7
hoodust will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Room42 View Post
I don't think placement of speakers front or rear would inherently screw up a sound system. Wouldn't direction of sound and distance sound travels be stronger factors? And since these are configurable and can be tailored to a specific vehicle and audio configuration, you should be able to adjust power and direction to attenuate sound appropriately. So I could see where an oversized speaker setup like multiple big subs could just plain overpower the ability to fine tune, but some well configured 3.5"s should add value to the listening experience in a balanced system.
Exactly. Balancing is the hardest part (I think this is what bigaudiofan meant about waves cancelling each other out).

The easiest way to balance is to have different speakers produce different (but slightly overlapping) frequency ranges, using speaker type and/or caps. Then you can easily tune front/back balance to taste. There are advantages to having some midrange behind you (maybe less so in the Z), but if it's aftermarket it might be harder to blend them in with the stock system seamlessly and still gain anything.

Given the same wattage, it'd be louder, easier and probably better quality to push fewer, well tuned speakers.

sorry for ranting but audio threads are just asking for it