View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #55 (permalink)
hoodust
Base Member

Drives: 370Z PG A7
hoodust will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
With rear speakers you are having sound waves cancel out from your rear speakers coming in contact with your fronts. Also your stage gets shifted from being forward to being well somewhere where it shouldn't. Subs are not effected by left and right and in a lot of cases they are directional. Bass changes in many ways depending on where the sub is aimed.
True, the quality of the bass sound is changed a lot by direction/position (i.e. facing the speaker backwards in a hatch often sounds louder/better). This is really because bass waves are "longer" and if they are too close to your ears they can't complete a full cycle (that's why bass sounds louder 10 feet away than it does right next to the source). By 'directional' I meant more left/right subs not really being necessary (since most music is mixed with the bass and kickdrum panned evenly between both channels anyways) but again it is a matter of personal preference and the audio recording.

Not sure what you mean by waves cancelling out from rears coming in contact with fronts. I think we're confusing "staging" and "sound position" (staging is left/right). Not trying to argue though and I agree with your bottom line: it is what your ear prefers. There's ground rules to reproducing good audio of course, but really no right or wrong way to do audio if it sounds right to the listener.

Getting back on topic, _personally_ I don't think rear speakers have too much to offer in a 2-seater.
/rant