View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #41 (permalink)
JoeyD
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 NISMO 370Z
JoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTalumni View Post
I think you have a point here. I took an Engines and Powertrains class in college and one thing I learned is that you should stick with the same oil over the lifetime of the automobile. I dont know how true it is but I figure if it helps, even in the slightest, Ill follow the tip. The reason to keep the same oil is because each oil has different detergents and switching them can somehow cause a problem.
My understanding is, that deposits build up in your engine. Some of those deposits act as a "gasket" on aging vehicles. In spots where original seals may have sprung a leak carbon or coke may build up and actually prevent the leak from being apparent. If you change oils the different properties (detergents, weights, viscosities) may loosen some of those deposits and cause a leak to begin. In a new engine this is obviously less of a concern. I've even heard that you should flush your engine with kerosene before changing oils to clean out any deposits.

I used Castrol GTX in my Speed6; it performed flawlessly. I'm planning on using Castrol Edge in my Z. I still think that 90% of all general knowledge about engine oil (including my own) is myth (flame away).