View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
LiquidZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mag. Black 2009 370Z
LiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond reputeLiquidZ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to sound like a newb when I ask this, but I'm trying to understand the physics of the oil cooler design.

This is my take on it, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

I'm not too familiar with oil cooler design, but I'm assuming the oil enters the cooler on the top, and exits on the bottom. From there, the oil flows horizontally across the cooler and then begins to flow downward through the rows. Is this correct?

With this in mind, the flow path from the top of the cooler to the bottom is a short one. Not to mention, it can now flow with gravity. I'm assuming this shorter path of flow in conjunction with gravitational forces helps eliminate some pressure loss. This lower pressure loss means the oil velocity within the cooler is greater, meaning it can flow in and out relatively quickly, re-enter the engine, and warm up quicker.

On the other hand, it sounds like the cooler won't be able to cool adequately as the oil can flow in and out quickly without dissipating much heat. This is where the size of the cooler comes into play. Due to the large surface area, it can still dissipate enough heat to be effective.

Was any of that correct haha?