View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #45 (permalink)
theDreamer
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z
theDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
The live axle argument is old and tired.

You obviously don't see the reason for keeping it so it's probably not worth explaining it to you, but against better judgment I will make an attempt anyways:

The majority of Mustang enthusiasts like to drag race their cars.

It's that simple. If enthusiast owners predominately preferred to track their cars, it would have an IRS.
Correct.
And as I was told, Ford even asked Mustang owners, projected buyers, etc. right before the 2005 new body style came our on what they wanted, IRS or solid rear axle? Guess which one won?

While I am a huge fan or IRS and do agree that the solid rear axle is a dated technology, and probably would own a Mustang if it had IRS. The fact still remains that Ford has taken this dated technology and made it work great in the real world. You had the track package, which is a factory addition, and the Mustang can take corners very well against cars with IRS. Given it has the horsepower and torque to back it up, it becomes a very heavy track contender.

Also, guess what car won GT1 this year at the SCCA National Championship? Ford Mustang