View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #80 (permalink)
jwick
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 G37 6MT
jwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond reputejwick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgunZ View Post
( Click to show/hide )
I think one thing to note is that torque does not fall off on a supercharger like it does a turbo car and that is why my sc feels like it just continues to pull while the turbo felt to me like it was slowing down.

Jwick lost 90tq from peak to redline, Ben lost 86tq, and Andrew (the guy with the blue line on my graph, up here at altitude) lost 128tq. where as my SC setup (at altitude) only lost 27tq.

If you were to describe this to someone it really comes down to how you want the car to react. If you want to wait a bit for your spool and then have it slap you in the face while breaking tires loose all over the place then a turbo is for you. If you want very linear controlled climbing of power then a SC is for you.

After having all 3 styles of forced induction on my cars within the last 5 years I have a good feel for what feel I like. But, I guess you could consider there to be 4 types. Positive displacement SC, Centrifugal SC, Big single turbo or twin turbos. I have never had twin turbos on a car that I own so that might be something I am unable to compare it to.

I will say that it is much easier to get big power out of a turbo though. Everything has its benefits and weaknesses.
I disagree with several things here but I think we would need to have a further discussion on the topic over alcohol.

Ultimately the TQ numbers from both of your dynos are the same. The benefit to the turbo is that you get that immediate TQ, assuming your above boost threshold, when needed and the HP up top works out the same.

jwick is offline   Reply With Quote