View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #50 (permalink)
zephyrzone
Base Member

Drives: 12 Nissan 370Z MB A7
zephyrzone is on a distinguished road

I second the Sprint Booster (sprintbooster).

My last two cars were Audi TTs, 1.8 turbos and I had an APR Stage 1 tune done to my second TT which made a noticeable difference. There was still turbo lag though.

The Nissan NA VQ engine is one of the best engines on the planet and it outputs a ton of useable power all through the band. I honestly can't imagine going FI just to get a bit more of a powerful feel. The initial outlay of cash is very high, you need someone very skilled to do the work and you open quite the can of worms.

If money is no issue and, for whatever reason, you need the car to be quicker and faster, then sure, go for it. You'll most likely want to go with a SC because the character of the car remains largely intact and you won't have any lag. Some folks prefer a turbo because they like the nice kick in the pants once it spools up. I can understand that, it's an addictive feel and if feel is what you're going for, that might be a better option for you. Keep doing what you're doing and research it, just be sure you really want to go FI. I think it's a bit silly on the Z as the VQ is a monster already but many owners are hobbyists or are coming from a bigger engine (say a Corvette), or they want to go to the drag strip frequently.

When I test drove the Z that I ended up buying I loved it but it felt slower than I was expecting. I did some research and found that the throttle response on the car is "tame". There's also a delay. No biggie, you just have to "reach" for the extra power and the response is progressive which is arguable better for cruising around town.

I came to this forum and read about the Sprint Booster so I bought it and just installed it literally 2 hours ago. It ***DRAMATICALLY*** changes the Z's throttle response. It's very simple in practice, the unit just amplifies the signal the accelerator pedal is sending to the ECU. Let me tell you absolute certainty the car feels much, much quicker. It's not. But the feeling is so significantly different that it feels like a different, more powerful car. The SB comes with a switch so you can turn if off, turn it on but have it be only a moderate difference or "turn it to 11" and have fun trying to keep the wheels from squealing from a dead stop. I actually like the first setting.

It's a world of difference and it'll be the best $300 you ever spend on a so called performance mod. For what you're looking for I absolutely suggest you try this first. If you don't like it, then look into FI, but I doubt you'll remain interested after the SB install.
zephyrzone is offline   Reply With Quote