Thread: CJM Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #447 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb55gh View Post
What is the recommended oil drain and access plug torque with the sealing washers provided?
For the drain plug I would use discretion per oil change as the temperature and lubrication have a big effect on how the threads are loaded. Since you will be using these threads more often, more care is needed.

I searched for examples of what others do with aluminum oil plug threads of this size (9/16, also almost identical to M14), and I didnt find much. What I did find was pointing to 20ft-lb max. When testing on my pan (wet with oil), it felt my best procedure was going to be to start at 15ft-lb and then turn it by hand a tiny more to the sweet spot. 20ft-lb seemed like a decent "max" torque number. But it also felt like if the oil on the threads and the pan were warmer, that 20 might be enough to stress it after enough cycles.

So I would say at this time, until giving it more testing, that I would torque it to 15 wet, and then use a hand wrench to turn it a little more by feel. when dry, 20 is probably a good number, but a dry number only really works for the initial installation.

I actually drew up this bracket the other day that I was thinking of having cut... this way we could just run around loose as hell and not have to worry about stressing it or it coming out. I am probably taking a little far its just that I have had several aluminum pans on VQs over the years and I hate how the threads feel after a couple years. Thats why I already went larger than the stock threads on this.

What do you think of this bracket? It is the same idea as safety wire sort of.

As for the large side ports, you would put some oil on the orings so they spin in easily. Then, I torqued mine to 45ft-lb and that felt good to me. They probably wouldnt strip out until way beyond that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (149.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by phunk; 09-24-2015 at 09:11 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote