View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
GOBLUE
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Roadster
GOBLUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post
YES! That is exactly the same noise. Were you able to look around in the cubby to make absolutely sure it's not down there? It seems like the only place it could possibly be. I'm sorry to hear you're having the problem because it's annoying as hell, but at the same time I have to say I am relieved it isn't just me.

I was going to try and look in the cubby first then I was going to do exactly what you are for the next step and remove the plastic trim behind the seats. That area is where the sound is coming from. I'm taking apart the center console next weekend to see if I can find anything. I'll let you know.

The only other noise in the entire car is a tapping sound coming from the driver's side in the "B-pillar". I found that one. There's a bungee for the top that runs through a retaining ring/clip. The ring is tapping against the structure. It's secure on the passenger side, but came loose on the driver's side. I can reach my fingers up and move it around which settles it and fixes the sound but I haven't yet been able to get any epoxy up there. It's a tight fit. Have you noticed this one as well?
Well it is nice to hear I'm not the only one with roadster noises! They are annoying, but fixable. Another one I had was a nasty metallic squeak heard over every little bump. Very loud with top down, noticeable with top up. I searched and searched and found it was the metal stud that positions the toneau cover in front of the trunk. One side had a black plastic cap, the other was missing so the metal stud was rubbing on the backside of the metal toneau making a horrendous squeak. I put plastic/vinyl anti-squeak tape and that fixed it 100%.

For this clip rolling around, I'll have to check the convertible top storage area once more to be sure. It's a bit tricky since you need to partially open the top to get in there, and then after a few minutes half open, the system drops the hydraulic pressure and the top starts closing. You have to work fast! LOL If there's nothing in there, I'm taking that trim panel behind the seats off.

For the driver side B-Pillar, I have a ticking noise there as well with the top up near the upper seatbelt anchor. It's hard to hear with the top down. I was playing around with that trim flap behind the seatbelt and noticed some change to the pitch of the tick noise, so I suspected it was in there somewhere. It's a complex mechanism so I couldn't pinpoint it exactly. I'll check for the loose trim clip you mentioned. Thanks for the help!

The other noise I have is a squeak noise from the back of the leather seats rubbing on the rear plastic finisher when someone is seated. It may be from the cleaner/conditioner the detailer used on the seat before I bought the car (I just bought it used this past February). I've tried de-greasing the leather back there, but it still squeaks. I'm thinking of adding adhesive backed black felt to the plastic trim so the leather rubs on the felt and that should prevent the noise.

I'll let you know what I find out!