View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
ScottOmatic
Base Member

Drives: '88 Porsche 928 S4
ScottOmatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambar View Post
Wait, did you say 285's all round - square setup? Aren't the wheels in front and rear different size, how well does this car adapt itself to a square setup? Once again sorry if these are noob questions, not familiar enough with the car yet.
First as for the sidewall ratio, yeah the front tires may look a little taller with the same tires as the rear because the rims are narrower. Yeah, ideally you'd probably like the sidewalls to look the same or a little bigger in the rear but first and foremost IMO is handling.

The idea with a square setup is that you give a little grip more to the front end, it should understeer less because the fronts aren't going to be giving out that much earlier with the now equal tire sizes.

People say that the skinner front rims can handle the wider with just fine and a lot of the track and autocross guys are going this route. I have an older Z that came with a square setup and I am really used to similar tire dynamics that the square setup has.

Of course, if you plan to do some suspension mods in the near future you can dial-out a lot of the understeer that way, but tires are a cheap and straight forward route. After all, they are the only thing between the car and the road!

As for the extreme tire category and the RE-71's. I was looking at these but my car is not ready to track yet and I don't know when that will be, so I think the few hundreds of dollars and maybe double the tread life of the Pole Positions might be just fine for the time being.
ScottOmatic is offline   Reply With Quote