View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #403 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12nismo View Post
^ Agreed, I've been told the same thing in regards to my 4.08 FD since 5th gear is now under 1:1. The engine still makes the same power, but it will read lower than it actually is. Makes me want to slap a factory FD in the car just to see what it makes now...I'm making 345whp now on the 4.08's.
That doesnt exactly make sense.

The 5th transmission gear is still 1:1, no matter what you do with the final drive.

The reason you lose power with the 4.08 on the dyno is because the final drive ratio is now further away from 1:1 (independent of the transmission). The further you go from 1:1, the greater the losses through the gearing in the final drive itself.

So 5th gear is still 1:1, its just that you have increased losses in the differential.

Also, I believe that the quicker rate of acceleration on the dyno will cause power reading to go down. But that one I am still on the fence about.