View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gerg
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z BS M6
Gerg is on a distinguished road

I got the Maestro RR on heavy recommendation from my local audio shop as well as from Pioneer, specifically because I was putting in a AVIC-8000NEX... Everyone said get the Maestro RR. It's the only authorized button controller for my HU according to Pioneer. It's posted all over Pioneer's website.

But, there were a few problems.

1. You must use a Windows PC to do the programming. As a Graphic Designer, I have used a Mac almost exclusively for the last decade. I don't own a PC... So, finding an accessible PC to do the programming, though not impossible, was a pain. (though that may be mostly because Windows 8 is awful)

2. Then, I found out during programming that iDatalink doesn't have any support for the 370z and the Maestro RR to the 8000NEX. None. You literally cannot program it through their online setup because it won't even let you get to a manual programming screen. According to the iDatalink support person, they have been requesting the interface information from Pioneer for years now. Pioneer's customer support declined to comment on that. WTF!?

3. Mind you, the RR is their more expensive unit (about 3x as much as their lesser unit, the Maestro SW). It's supposed to have all the bells and whistles as far as reading and displaying data from the car's ECU with minimal difficulty for the installer/user. I had actually picked up an SW off of Ebay for super cheap before being pushed by everyone to pick up the RR, and it worked just fine. All steering buttons (except for the Bluetooth, of course) work without issue.

Just my $0.02.
Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote