View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #638 (permalink)
triso07
Base Member

Drives: xxxxxxx
triso07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicerX View Post
I have people respectfully disagree with me everyday, but at least they can articulate a coherent point in doing so. It's not just that we disagree, it's that the "point" you're making in your previous posts isn't rooted in reality whatsoever. However, now that you're taking more time to articulate yourself, it's getting much better.

In order to accurately speculate as to what Nissan will do with this thing, you have to understand how Nissan is going to approach this from a business case because they're currently in love with their billions in profits. They have to build the next Z to make money, or they won't build it, and how they start is how cost-effective it will be for them to design and produce.

Ok the Camaro is losing weight and adding power for the first time in its history. I overlooked that to my detriment. However, the Mustang gained weight and not much power to offset it. So perhaps you're also shooting yourself in the foot by leaving that out of your rebuttal?

Let's focus on this reality, however, which still reinforces my original point - Chevy is doing this on the Alpha platform that is shared across three vehicles with more in the pipeline (CTS, ATS, and Camaro with future vehicles being considered, and these are all volume cars!) This helps them create more profit and in turn increase flexibility. The Mustang does not yet share its platform with anyone, but it's a long established VOLUME car that Ford can afford to do more with, and it's consistently the #1 or #2 seller in its segment. What does Nissan have that they can create this type of scenario with? If they're going to downsize, they can't share a platform with the Q50. If they're going to stay the same, then it looks like they would continue using the FM platform that is currently the G/Z, but with the G/Q40 being done after this year, that's not even cost effective anymore, so that's very unlikely.

The Z isn't a volume car, and as such, it won't get volume R&D dollars to create "optimum design scenarios" unless it streamlines with some other strategy Nissan has not yet revealed.

Hey! We agree here. But what about for the other two motors you think they should have available a la pony cars? Where would those come from?

We also agree here.

Many would argue that it already is in 370Z form, including myself, but Nissan has already indicated that it won't go this direction for the next gen.

We also agree here. You are showing great improvement.

Many, including some of the longtime Nissan guys that were around when the 240Z came out, would disagree with you here. Today's definition of "affordable sports car" is different than what it was in the 70s when there was less competition, less diversity in the market, and less money to be thrown around for cars from prospective buyers.

So I proposed to you this - would a car that's 2800lbs-ish with a 250hp/250tq-ish turbo 4 on a solid platform that costs around $27k really be such a bad thing?
Please come down off of your high horse buddy. I articulate just fine. I doubt many people here are having trouble understanding my feelings on the matter. You like to pick and choose pieces of text to misconstrue or complain about.

I understand business decisions just fine, but thanks for explaining that I "need" to approach this from their POV. Do you work for Nissan?

Here's MY POV ...

Many Z enthusiasts moved on from the car because it was getting outperformed by other vehicles or because they were looking for refreshes of performance and design but didn't get them. The automotive world moved forward and Nissan left the Z stale. It's easy to blame your product not selling on the people but I don't see it that way. I see it as Nissan was ignoring their target audience while Ford, Chevy, and Dodge weren't.

This has nothing to do with my feelings on the car. I personally love the 370zs attributes. I do consider it a budget Cayman and I would like to see it continue being so, which is why for me personally I would prefer 1-200lbs lighter and 375-420hp. Whether or not that fits into Nissans business plans or not (which I am not privy to) is not my concern. I'm merely saying what I think would sell. I think many people on here would buy a car with those attributes if the design was right.

As for 2800lbs 250hp. I don't personally prefer it. That puts it inline with the Miata/BRZ crew and I have no desire personally to own a Z like that. It's a step down from it's current state IMO.

I would rather see them go after Americas muscle cars by adding a turbo and boosting HP to 400+ then see it go the way of the Miata/BRZ.
triso07 is offline   Reply With Quote