View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
370bluez
Base Member

Drives: 12 370z
370bluez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishuko View Post
to be fair you should have hit every piece of metal in your rear hatch so you didn't have to go back. all the metal parts will vibrate and send out the sound.

the dampening material adds mass to reduce vibrations and dampens the sound a bit. i think you would have hit your 5-db target if you did the entire hatch instead of portions but that's me speculating.

i'd suggest searching the audio section... tons of good material there to kill some time reading and learning
I did... I looked at at least 10 threads. Most don't have any measurements behind their claims. And from what I could tell most seem disappointed even after covering the entire trunk etc.

The proper way to apply material like dynamat isn't to cover every single space of metal but only a portion preferably in the middle of a panel i went a bit overboard since these cars don't even have wheel well liners?! WTF is up with that. Which explains the whole pebble issue.

Unless you're looking for mass damping through the sheer weight of the material. But that would require 2-3 layers of dynamat which would weigh 50lbs and is completely insane.
370bluez is offline   Reply With Quote