View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

If your driving skills are on the same level as your self-professed lack of mechanicing skills, then maybe FI is not the route for you. As per Chuck33079's comments above, FI (plus necessary supporting mods) is not for the average DD - they can be difficult to drive in traffic and can be expensive to install and maintain (especially if you are paying someone to do the work).

While the VQ is a fairly sturdy engine, there are a lot of "little" things that need to be taken care of before pushing it to FI output levels. Eg, oil pumps have a tendency to come apart at high RPM, stock cooling capacity is marginal (even with no engine mods), &c. Do your homework (Chuck33079's links above are a great place to start), make sure everything is installed properly, and you should be OK with anything below the 450HP max that has been mentioned.

But, if you think FI is for you, go for it. Several other site members seem to be very happy with their setups.

Edit: Looks like Chuck33079 already covered most of this while I was busy typing. He seems to give more detailed answers than I do, so I'm going to take a nap.

Last edited by SouthArk370Z; 09-05-2015 at 11:31 AM.
SouthArk370Z is offline   Reply With Quote