View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
NoHyperbole
Base Member

Drives: N/A
NoHyperbole will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheese View Post
OP, that's awesome! You use a laptop to switch the tunes?

Is there a limit to the number of tunes you get? It'd be nice to have a stock tune and a "valet" tune.
Yes, I use my laptop and the EcuTek cable to switch tune files. The process takes less than 5 minutes. It involves turning the ignition on and off a few times (not starting the car) in accordance with the on-screen prompts.

Some people have four maps on their tune, but they most likely live in areas where 93 octane pump gas is widely available. So they'll still have three maps for 93 octane, but they will have one additional map for 91 octane in case they drive somewhere and can't fill up with 93.

There is a back-to-stock tune file if you want to take the tune off the car (perhaps for engine-related warranty work). I did inquire about having a stock map along with the tuned maps, as that would offer a nice real-time comparison mechanism to highlight the differences, but EcuTek does not support this since the tune basically overwrites the ECU.

There is a valet map, but it is different from the UpRev valet map in that it does not limit RPM or vehicle speed directly right off the bat. My understanding is that the EcuTek valet map allows the car to be driven normally for the first 1 km, or .6 mile (EcuTek is based in the U.K.), and then the vehicle's speed is gradually reduced the farther the car is driven, to the point where it won't go faster than 2 mph after it travels 3 km or so. I'm not sure of the exact distance, but that's the gist of how it works.
NoHyperbole is offline   Reply With Quote