View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
NoHyperbole
Base Member

Drives: N/A
NoHyperbole will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbrah View Post
So how does she drives? Have try out the features?
Well, I have only basic breather mods (catback exhaust and K&N drop-ins), so improving the throttle response was the primary reason for my wanting to get a tune.

The stock car seems to "fall on its face" when starting out from a dead stop. Plus, the lack of throttle response at low RPMs (1200 to 3000) makes it seem like your MAF sensors are dirty. Seb confirmed this by saying that the stock throttle map has quite a valley and is not linear at low RPMs.

So now the throttle response is greatly improved (and I can decide how aggressive I want it to be by changing the tune file). And because the AFR and timing are now optimized, I do feel the car accelerates with a bit more verve and less fuss. Before, in rolling acceleration, I could hear the exhaust getting louder, but the car was not accelerating at the rate I would have expected.

I have tried the launch control once in an empty parking lot, and it worked as advertised. I used 3600 RPM. There wasn't much wheelspin, but the acrid smell from the tires was a nice surprise.

The traction control's intervention point can be controlled via the cruise control toggle switch, and the setting can be viewed temporarily on the oil temperature gauge (higher temps = earlier intervention, and vice versa; 220 degrees is 50%), but I don't really want to mess with that on public roads.

All in all, the tune, much like many of the other mods I've done, makes the car feel the way Nissan should have built it in the first place. In my case, the tune is a relatively subtle change, yet it improves the overall drivability and predictability of the car markedly.
NoHyperbole is offline   Reply With Quote