View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zipper 104
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '13 PW/Frost/Spt/AT
Zipper 104 will become famous soon enough
Default Oil temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Nismo#91 View Post
Why are you so worried about 240, are you using conventional oil? Fully synthetic oils can handle temps up over 300deg with out braking down. There is very little viscosity change from 212F which is what is considered idea to 240F. I suppose your could switch to 5 or 10W-40 and you'd be covered for viscosity changes to the much higher temps. But I wouldn't worry about it unless your regularly hitting limp mode.

I am assuming your talking about the triple gauge temp with oil temp and not counting the dots and converting it to a temp in your head while driving.
Thanks....just what I was going to throw out there. Earlier this month I was seeing oil temps upwards of 110 C. (230 F) at highway speeds in 90+ ambient temps.
I had a pretty good idea I'be be safe with synthetic (just couldn't run anywhere as hot as some of my Harleys did running syn) and since there were no signs of problems with the rad boiling over, nor anything that resembled limp mode, I pressed on. (I figured any problem with oil temps would show itself on the water/radiator side of the equation eventually) At one point I started questioning the water temp. sensor 'cause my car gets to operating temp a lot faster than I thought it should. (the water temp 'dot' display) The whole trip the water dot didn't move after the first few minutes of runtime. Settled in about 7 over from the left.
My Z sure runs hot IMO. If I pop the hood after even a sub 10 minute trip in summer temps it's is real hot under there. Normal?

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

Zipper 104 is offline   Reply With Quote