View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
sambar
Base Member

Drives: 370Z-2012-6MT
sambar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Beautiful car, and your story was a good read.
I like the Monterey Blue.

I felt the same way when I caught the Z bug. It was the FRS that got me looking at nimble, rwd coupes.
The Z stole my heart. I sat inside an FRS after testing my Z, just to be sure. The fit an finish of the Z was miles ahead, it was a 2 seater, and the FRS gearbox felt less than desirable.

I briefly considered an Evo, but the Z was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks! The FRS/BRZ is also a lot less powerful than the Z, and it shows when you hit the highway (at least to me).

I didn't consider the Evo because I wasn't sure of Mitsubishi's resale value in the US. I calculate my costs not in terms of how much I pay, but rather in terms of how much I get when I resell vs how much I pay (a lot of excel sheets). I calculate a combination of depreciation, interest paid, gas, insurance and perceived maintenance to arrive at an approximate "cost of ownership per month". In fact, that's why the M3 didn't cut it - I could've afforded the M3's monthly payments but when all things add up, the cost of ownership goes sky high. The Evo, even more.

The Z on the other hand.. shines in that aspect . I got this baby at 22K, I'm sure I can do better when I sell this in a few years than on any M3 / S4 / 335i that I buy for $45K. At least that's what I think, lets see it could go either way depending on what the upgraded Z looks and feels like.

Something tells me an upgraded Z - like other new cars - will come out with a turbo four cylinder, electric steering, a hybrid version and way overpriced. It will catapult our current Z's into high-demand among enthusiasts, like the S2000 and maybe to a lesser extent the E92 BMW's. I certainly hope so, now that I am invested !
sambar is offline   Reply With Quote