View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
VitViper
Base Member

Drives: 15 370Z
VitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond reputeVitViper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njobe89 View Post
so what's all needed to be able to switch from e85 to regular... there are e85 pumps around me at all times, but if you go on a trip, it's not offered at every gas station.
A tune. Injectors if you want more breathing room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleONE View Post
The car doesn't come into boost any easier on E85, just takes a lot more fuel. Is the increase in MPG hand calculated?
Dash. Which has always been accurate on other vehicles I've converted (such as the new Coyote -- got 13-15mpg on E85, verified manually). I'll verify the reading next fill up, which will be a "combined" mpg (as I do a lot of city type driving as well).

My point was in boost it does consume a ton more fuel than pump. I don't know about you, but even small amounts of throttle input to do light acceleration would put my turbo cars into at least some level of boost, and as such into richer AFR targets than stoic at cruising.

I can give you much crazier examples -- I have a guy with a high c/r N/A 2.5L motor build in a Honda that gets crappy gas mileage on pump, but on E85 he does 40-50mpg -- the car will go from Ventura to Sacramento (California) on 2/3 - 3/4 tank of gas (it's a Civic, so roughly 9-10 gallons).

My turbo S2000 gets 19-21mpg on the freeway on E85 with a built motor. Factory they're rated 22mpg.

These are definitely the exception and not the rule... as usually I do see a 20-30% hit to economy on E85, but I can't say it's "always" after doing it long enough on a bunch of different platforms.
VitViper is offline   Reply With Quote