View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Misnomer
Base Member

Drives: 2020 BMW M240i
Misnomer is on a distinguished road

I got one of these in February, and it works like a dream. You just have to not force it into the CD slot; it kind of sits on the edge, but the grip is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighter View Post
this looks like a way to ruin your head unit on accident
Sadly, this was, in fact, the result. Just two days ago, actually (which is why I'm poking around in the Audio & Video part of the board). I got my Z washed and vacuumed, and I think they sprayed cleaning stuff on the dash/around the stereo. When I went to put the cell phone mount in immediately after the wash I think I pushed some liquid in there, and my head unit is now mostly dead: the XM still works (thank goodness), and the steering wheel controls work, but the display is dead and the only button on the unit itself that works is power/volume. CDs won't eject or play, etc.

After drying everything out (2.5 hours in a parking lot) didn't help, I went to a local car audio place and they quoted me ~$500 (and 4-5 days) to remove the unit, send it out for repair, and then replace it. I won't have that kind of money for another month or so, at which time I'll call around and see if I can get any lower estimates. And/or maybe I can find a place that can do the repair on-site. In the meantime, I'm feeling very lucky that six XM stations are still options while I'm driving (I can access FM via the steering wheel "source" button, but it goes to static and I have no way to tune/change the station).

Anyway, consider mine a cautionary tale...
Misnomer is offline   Reply With Quote