View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gspinin
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Sport M6
Gspinin is on a distinguished road
Default Handsfree calling via Google voice and hangouts dialer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhovah View Post
Do you get bluetooth calling?
I am in the beginning stages of figuring out my tablet integration, and I bought a headunit to go with it because it did not appear that an android tablet could also handle hands free calls through a bluetooth connection with my phone.

Okay I think I got!

So I read up on a few apps and downloaded and tested a couple and they all failed. So I came across this thread bluetooth - Answer my phone on my Tablet? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange and basically it solved the whole hands free calling for me with one issue which I explain below..

1. download the following apps (google play store or apple app store) to your tablet and cellphone: google voice, google hangouts and google hangouts dialer.

2. go through the google voice tutorial and set it up on your phone and tablet.
- make sure you connect with w.e. gmail account you use bc it will sync all your contacts to those apps.
- Also make sure your *correct* phone number is connected to the google voice app. This is a step in the tutorial as you setup the google voice app.

Testing stage

3. Placing a call: Since your tablet already has built in microphone place a call using your google hangouts dialer.
-Tablet calling: using hangouts dialer, make a phone via your tablet to a friend or your home phone. If its a friend ask them how the call quality is. when I called my sister via the tablet she said the call quality was fine meaning normal as if I was using my cellphone. *my internet on the tablet is tethered via bluetooth on my cellphone*

- Receiving calls: have a friend or relative call you on your cellphone. When they call you, you should also receive that call on your tablet. It is simultaneous.
Here is the road block I am facing....:
**the issue i am running into is when I am receiving a call from my phone; however, answering on my tablet, my phone still continues to ring even though I have answered the call via the tablet. (Trying to figure this out- so stay tune)

**Calling/receiving calls via your tablet is free in the USA and Canada. No charges apply. google voice mimics your cellphone calling plan / carrier restrictions. Obviously placing any international calls will incur charges.

I hope this helps.

Next up is to figure out if there is an AUX/mic combo that I can plug into the 3.5 jack as my tablet is mounted at the location of the oem HU. And since the mic on the galaxy tab 4 7" is on the bottom near the home button, I think my voice quality will suffer or will sound muffled.
Gspinin is offline   Reply With Quote