View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoX Z View Post
I'd also recommend leaving it in reverse not first. Reverse has a lower gear ratio that gives it more holding power.
Continuing the interesting discussion...

I've read that if you're parked on a hill facing downward, you should put the car in reverse. If you facing up a hill, you should park in 1st. This way the car won't be able to roll if the hill is steep enough since the gear you selected is opposite the rolling direction. Now I don't know how realistic a car rolling forward in 1st gear is. It's a tall enough gear that it would take one hell of a steep slope to make it roll. But if you park on a hill in 5th, I'd bet the car may roll forward (ebrake not engaged).