View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Z Ninja
Base Member

Drives: 14 370Z BLK 6MT
Z Ninja is on a distinguished road

Any air freshener I've tried, I've really hated. The smell is too strong and it about makes you want to pull over and puke. One air freshener caused my eyes to water so bad, I had to throw it away immediately. I'd stick with only products containing natural oils if I had to use something.

It's actually true that the "new car smell" is potentially toxic, copied from Wikipedia:

"A two-year study released in 2001 by the CSIRO in Australia found several health problems associated with new car smell chemicals. CSIRO research scientist, Dr Stephen Brown, reported anecdotal accounts of disorientation, headache, and irritation in some drivers of new cars. He measured pollutant levels in new cars that were sufficient to cause similar effects within minutes in controlled experiments by other researchers. Chemicals found in the cars included the carcinogen benzene, two other possible carcinogens cyclohexanone and styrene, and several other toxic chemicals."

"A more recent study in Japan found that the volatile organic chemicals in a new minivan were over 35 times the health limit the day after its delivery. In four months they had fallen under the limit but increased again in the hot summer months, taking three years to permanently remain below the limit. The limits were set by the Japanese health ministry in response to more car owners suffering from sick building syndrome. A Daily Telegraph article on the study described the enjoyment of new car smell as "akin to glue-sniffing"."

The best advice, don't eat, drink (except water), or smoke in your car. Make sure you change the cabin air filter every recommended 15,000 miles. Vacuum often. I've been able to keep my "new car smell" for years that way and people still comment that it smells and looks new because I take good care of the interior. No stinking air freshener needed!
Z Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote