View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #6370 (permalink)
Davey
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '15 NISMO 6MT
Davey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
hummm... hope no damage to the wiring inside the walls..
It's just in a conduit fastened to the wall, runs about 10 feet.

He's done already. He did not seem at all surprised at what he saw/found.

He explained what happened, is that the outlet was old and somewhat corroded internally (which makes sense due to it being in a basement on a cement wall) and the outlet type just used crimp connectors, rather than screw terminals like modern outlets.

Even though it worked, it created a lot of heat (remember your Ohm's Law), which eventually caused it to loosen up more, which caused it to arc internally, burning up the outlet from the inside.

He had a tester and was able to identify which circuit breaker it was, and said that it was not indicative of any problem that the breaker did not blow.

So basically, a 10-minute job to replace it. Could have done it myself easily, but after seeing what happened, I was glad to have a pro tell me what had happened.