View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #2094 (permalink)
NoHyperbole
Base Member

Drives: N/A
NoHyperbole will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper 104 View Post
I eventually went with my gut which told me 25s on the rear would poke too much for my liking, or rather, make the rear appear different than the front. It's a tough call. The tires you run might make all the difference. Sorry to mess with you more.

You sure are right when you say it's a tough call. Here's my thought process.

The 20 mm spacers in front are the right call for the Sport wheels. I have Swift springs, and the tires don't rub at all, even at full lock at parking lot speeds. Visually, it seems that the wheels could be pushed out a bit more, and you may think that 25 mm spacers will work, but I think that that particular setup may introduce some rubbing, if only in extreme circumstances. Just a guess.

As for the back, you are correct when you say the tires might make all the difference. The OEM Bridgestone RE050 (275/35/19), according to the specs, has a tread width of 10.2", which is wider than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (10.0"), the Bridgestone RE-71R (10.0"), the Bridgestone RE760 (9.8"), and the Bridgestone S-04 (9.2")(!), but narrower than the Continental ExtremeContact DW (10.4"), just to name a few of the popular replacement tires. If you get wider tires, then the tread width of those will certainly be wider than all the tires listed here.

I currently have 25 mm spacers in back on the OEM wheels and tires, and the tire does stick out about a quarter to a third of an inch from the body (I have -1.5 degrees of rear camber). The OEM tires have a very pronounced rim protector, which makes the sidewall appear more "angular," and this is what causes most of the poke. The lip of the wheel, to my eyes, appears to be flush with the body.

In my opinion, using 25 mm spacers with OEM rear tires is borderline acceptable; however, thinking into the future, when I replace the OEM tires, I will almost certainly choose an OEM size tire that has a narrower tread width and a more upright sidewall (Pilot SS or S-04). I think those tires will look much better with the 25 mm spacers than the OEM tires do. I realize we're talking fractions of an inch here, but you can visually detect those differences.
NoHyperbole is offline   Reply With Quote