View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
mishuko
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 Z
mishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond reputemishuko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
The upper gears should be easier because the rpm differences between are smaller. I recall reading that the lower gears have multiple syncro's vs the upper which only have one. This sheds light on why the upper gears can be a bit notchy.

The 1-3 is more a function of timing the clutch/rpm differences just right. Even when timed just right, 5-6 is just not as smooth as say 1-2 or 2-3.

The cold temp issue is the trans fluid. As I mentioned MT85 worked great initially then went to crap. The nissan fluid is not as smooth as MT85 but works year round (or so we shall see this winter). Pick your poison
uhh our first is super short and going from 1-2 i'd be pausing to let the rev's drop enough to smooth the transition.

i did swap my trans/differential fluids 1000km ago and noticed the shifts being smoother again. marginally at best. can't tell the differential, guess i'm not driving around corners fast enough

if you're having trouble with your upper gears i'd def get your synchro's checked. i have no problems 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 and going rowing back down. always have difficulty engaging 1st from a rolling stop when cold and 3-2 shift when very cold. i generally don't rev about 3k until i see the coolant temp move up to operating temps.
mishuko is offline   Reply With Quote