View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #4982 (permalink)
burntz
Base Member

Drives: 15 370 Sport 7AT
burntz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis370Z View Post
What did you use to black out the edges of the side markers?
Just sparkly black touch up paint around the Z (duplicolor 209, Toyota black mica was what my store had)

As in all painting the prep work is key
1) wash area , I'll just use a wet clean rag for small areas
2) extra thorough wax removal (I have been using the same gallon of DuPont paint wash/prep since painting an Alfa Romeo GTV6 in my garage in ~1998)
if the paint isn't spreading perfectly even (you see small round circles form) wipe off the paint and repeat this step
3) mask off area, I use painters tape (and a roll of cheap butchers type paper for sprays)
4) paint away, generally I due two medium coats and remove the tape after ~30 minutes

I used the duplicolor 'black chrome' kit for bigger areas

Make sure you have fresh wax on all the uncovered areas you don't intend to paint to reduce overspray issues

I totally stole someone's index card idea, worked brilliantly! 1000 miles on rims so far and still perfect (plan to powder coat when replace tires in ~2 years, wanted to be sure I liked the look)

I, apparently, missed the wax removal step on my drivers door handle, the paint went on very smoothly but after driving in a torrential downpour last week it peeled off like a snake skin in a 2"x2" area; used a plastic paint scrapper and removed the rest and re sprayed

now if I could just get my pac swc (steering wheel control unit) to work with my nav/stereo I'd be completely happy

[random dumb question addition;(don't want to start a new thread) does any one routinely shift AT to neutral for coasting into stoplights/signs? I read it was not advised but can't understand why a transmission would have problems shifting, I don't plan on revving it and banging it back into drive]