Thread: CJM Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #238 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

2 Photos attached... 1 showing the pans are done machining other than oil drains.

Second photo shows the baffle top plate that is being made.

I added the vertical wings and positioned them so that they will focus all the oil coming back from the rear of the engine / upper pan area into the sump area. They are positioned to recover most of that. Their exact position will make more sense when I post pictures of it with the upper pan attached from the inside.

My thought process on this was lets try and almost take the side wings of the lower pan out of the equation so that oil can recirculate more easily. With oil circulation mostly bypassing the outside wings of the pan, these wings serve just as oil displacement and as surge protection where oil can easily travel from the wing to the sump, but oil can only really get into the wing through oil level, which means there was a surplus of oil to spare for storage in the wing. I hope I am describing this in a way that makes sense. Basically I wanted the baffle system to not be a full time part of oil circulation, but to mostly act as walls and reduce sump area for oil to get away, but then these walls are also check valves to allow stored oil in the wings to enter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3323.JPG (197.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg baffle.jpg (79.5 KB, 34 views)